Saturday, March 10, 2012

Benign Narcissism

It’s Sunday in Boise, ID. ~ it's windy and cloudy and The Doors are playing while I type. Jim Morrison said something that I related to back when I was young, but now even more so, which may explain my hyper seance of self importance today.




No. 2 (2011)


I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being, but with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most crucial moments.”

Isn't that a fun quote?

No.11 (2008)



If you want to talk to me I would like to think I could be honest and direct, not just wax all eloquent and stuff about whatever it is you want to know. Also just as important I hope I would find you as interesting and the conversation would go both ways. 

No. 8 (2008)

Even if it wasn’t interesting, we could always talk about our shoes. I’ve found shoes more of a hot topic than the weather in some cases.



No. 9 (2009)






However, if there were times I could not give you the answers you seek, I believe my art is as much of a tattle-tail if ever there was one. You and I have talked about some of these self-portraits before, some of these things bear repeating.


No. 7 (2012)



Whether it’s my lack of ability ~ Oh and regardless of what you’ve heard, good looks and artist ability only get you so far in this world; about as far as my shoes sometimes ~ Now where was I? Oh yes, whether it’s my lack of ability as an artist or my lack of interest in the subject; I tend to clown around with these paintings and not take them too serious.



No. 6 (2012)




No. 5 (2011)









Maybe you’re asking yourself “what does he mean by too serious”; I mean things like self-portraits No.4 ~ the infamous Poor Sad Bastard Portrait. I was just doing a harmless painting when it hit me. BAM! I dug up all this crap I had stuffed down inside myself; and by pulling it out with my art it cast a new light on my problems. What a help it was for me.


No. 4 (2012)



So it’s like I say “Be honest and you never have to remember what you said”. However, I can’t help you when you rediscover your own truths. You’re on your own from there.


No.3 (2005)





Would you say there's a David Street and Jim Morrison connection in there somewhere? 
I’ll take that as a yes :) 


No.1 (2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment