Saturday, February 4, 2012

Art As Therapy (Part 2)


I've talked a lot about color, line, and how my mood had a part in the last self-portrait. So now we need to talk about the creative process itself. I realized something the other day about my art, and life in general; Try this with me.

Look at something ~anything, a horse, a house, a word~ anything. Hold it in your head. Now try to draw it. Hard as I’ve tried, from conception to delivery, I lose a lot (sometimes all). I do realize that sometimes it turns out better than the picture I had in my mind, because of the variations.  I did one for you just so you can see what I mean. The top one  is what I saw in my head. The other is my translation. Far from a perfect rendering, but it has more of my own voice. This one is ready for a card to someone I love.

My point is ~ we have an idea in our head whether it’s a horse, a house or how we treat each other, and it rarely turns out how we think it will. Here is the art as therapy part; by embracing the good parts of  your art piece or life and holding on to them, we can begin to see the perfection in the imperfections...

...or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment