Saturday, August 31, 2013

"We're On A Mission From God..."

"...We're getting the band back together!"



It doesn’t come up much, but I’m a Mormon. We believe weird things and we piss people off. It’s not intentional, but it happens. Here's a fun fact for you:
Up
until 1976, in the good state of Missouri,
it was legal to kill a Mormon!

Now what’s a guy gotta do to get you that pissed off?!

We believe our bodies are made up of our physical body and our Spirits. God, our Heavenly Father is the father of all those Spirits. So everyone who has ever been born or will be born is connected by this eternal family. If you go to a Mormon Church you’ll see what I mean.We all call each other “Brother” and “Sister." Strange, but it puts the world into a clearer perspective for me.

One of the most peculiar things Mormons believe is that the first born of all of Heavenly Fathers children was Jesus. Mormons believe the Christmas story and the Easter story, and that He truly died for all of us. We know this and teach before we were born, there was a Grand Council in Heaven, all of Heavenly Fathers children were there.  2/3 of them followed Jesus and 1/3 didn’t. Simply put, that's were you get angels and devils. I’m cutting parts out because I’m not trying to teach you a Sunday School lesson. I’m just trying to tell you a story...

The last unusual thing Mormons believe: Know how you meet someone for the first time and it feels like you’ve know them all your life. Well chances are you have ~ from this preexistence. What are the chances? Trillions of people who have ever lived and you’re going to run into someone you know. What about 7 somebodies you know? It may seem hard to believe. Our lives look like a box of spilt match sticks, but to God, each match stick is numbered and counted and with it's own scenes of order. Where there seems to be only chaos to us, there is really a method to the madness. Which brings me to this life...

...come to a small house with seven kids and their lunatic father and I’ll show you chaos and madness!

Years ago on one occasion; it was one of my first real melt downs.  I was really gone, and Jennifer was really trying to help me. She took me in the room where the boys were playing and she pointed to them and looked at me ~ “You finally got the band back together. Be happy!”

That spoke to something inside me.

So now when I’m sad, depressed, or otherwise close to the edge, I put on Starship Trooper and imagine me and the boys on stage at a HOB rocking out.

Together again!

Works for me.

Where’s Georgia?
She must be at the bar drinking Shirley Temples!


Yes Logo 2013 ~  Pen & Ink and Watercolour








 

Starship Trooper 


Sister bluebird flying high above
Shine your wings forward to the sun
Hide the myst'ries of life on your way
Though you've seen them, please don't say a word
What you don't know, I have never heard

Starship trooper, go sailing on by
Catch my soul, catch the very light
Hide the moment from my eager eye
Though you've seen them, please don't tell a soul
What you can't see, can't be very whole

Speak to me of summer
Long winters longer than time can remember
The setting up of other roads
To travel on in old accustomed ways
I still remember the talks by the water
The proud sons and daughter
That knew the knowledge of the land
Spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways

Mother life, hold firmly on to me
Catch my knowledge higher than the day
Lose as much as only you can show
Though you've seen me, please don't say a word
What I don't know, I have never shared

Loneliness is a power that we possess to give or take away forever
All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts there shown before you
Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is all confusion
As I see a new day in me, I can also show it you and you may follow

Speak to me of summer
Long winters longer than time can remember
The setting up of other roads
To travel on in old accustomed ways
I still remember the talks by the water
The proud sons and daughter
That knew the knowledge of the land
Spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways


No comments:

Post a Comment